Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Dinner - For One

Sometimes shit just doesn't work out. Tonight I planned a nice homemade dinner for Jennifer, my girlfriend, and I, consisting of steaks and my world famous Spanish Rice with bell pepper, and I was even thinking of building a fire. We were also going to watch the Fiesta Bowl featuring the Texas Longhorns versus the Ohio State Buckeyes. I do not like Mack Brown, so I throw the Horns DOWN. Anyway, Jennifer's grandmother "GG" fell down again, so it got called off. I hope she gets better soon. I went ahead with the dinner and football watching party anyway!

After I got the text message from Jennifer, you will never guess where I went. Rob's! Had to get some pre-game in, and I got to play a very spirited series of foosball against Jerry. He won 4 games to 3, and a couple of the games went to overtime, so even though I lost it was still a lot of fun. Jerry, on more than one occasion, tried to get my mug filled too high with beer so that I would have to lean over to sip it, because picking it up would surely mean alcohol abuse. This is a reference to the incident a couple of weeks ago when Jerry kicked the table / trash can that holds our beers near the foosball table (while I was leaning down to sip the beer), and I played it up like "man you could have chipped a couple of my teeth." I even held my mouth and walked away from the foosball game, but I did not look back because I was laughing the whole time. Rob's waitress Jana, who didn't know that I was displaying my fine acting skills, jumped all over Jerry saying "you are so mean, you're not the person I thought you were!" Anyway, I never fell for the prank, but the buzz around Rob's was the excitement over the Texas game, and I ran into a couple of other people who do not like the Horns. Of course, in Texas, there were plenty of people who love the Horns, and they were not really happy with my blantant dislike for their team.

Theo and I throw down the Horns at Rob's

Zaul and Rick flip me off while throwing up the Horns

Then it came time to go home for the game and cooking. I threw down with a chopped up bell pepper, then mixed my spices together (chicken bouillon, cumin, paprika, garlic salt, pepper), along with 2/3 a can of tomato sauce, and covered the 1 cup of rice for a quick 15-20 minutes on medium. The Foreman grill got to handle the beef chuck steak, and then after getting pulled off the grill, I dusted the steak with a Cajun Creole seasoning. It was seriously one of the best steaks I have cooked on the Foreman.

Prep work is done, time for the actual cooking

The finished product!

Another great part to last night was the game! Holy cow, Ohio State pretty much lead the whole game, but at the end, with 16 seconds left, Colt McCoy throws a touchdown pass to win the game for the Longhorns. Moral to the story? When life gives you a dinner alone, use the Cajun Creole seasoning on your steak.

Dinner for one

No comments:

Post a Comment