Monday, January 5, 2009

Fantasy Football $$$, and a stuck car key

Hello America! Happy 2009. I know we all make resolutions around this time of year, and I have several. Stop smoking, drink less, exercise more, ... and expand my online presence. "No one cares about your online presence." I agree. So don't take any of this too seriously, and neither will I. This is just going to be about random funny stories, current happenings in my life, and the music that gets played when I have control.

This weekend was interesting, so here is the story. I went to Boomer Jack's http://www.boomerjack.com/BJG/index.html on Saturday afternoon for some 3:00 beers, and to pay off the winners of our fantasy football league. As the commissioner, I am tasked with holding onto almost a thousand dollars for 3+ months, and then handing it over to my friends who have taken my fantasy heart, thrown it on the ground, and stomped on it Wu-Tang steel-toe boot posse beatdown style. I went 5-9 this year and finished 8th out of 10 teams. Jeff, Jason (and Heather, his wife), and Roman finished in 1-3, so they got their money. We were also joined by Scott, who impressed us all with his wit and alcohol tolerance.

Jeff flaunts his 1st place money

Jason gets 2nd place, and some scratch

Roman collects his 3rd place scrilla

Ok so everything is going well, we watch the Arizona Cardinals beat the Atlanta Falcons, and we do our $20 ridiculous playoff edition of the fantasy football draft. I don't even know who I have other than Peyton Manning, and he is gone since the Colts lost later that same night. Anyway. So my homie Jerry shows up to Boomer Jack's, and eventually most of us made our way over to my home bar, Rob's Billiards. http://robsbilliards.com/ Pool was played, Heather talked smack about how great she was at foosball, and promptly got smashed 5-0 by my buddy Ray.

Now it is getting time for me to head home, so I invite Jason and Heather over to watch some Dexter season 3 on demand. I go out to my car, put my only key into the driver's side lock, twist it to unlock the door (which worked), ... and then the key got fucking stuck in the door. There is no unbalanced feeling like the sharp kick to the temple that is caused by anything that immobilizes your car. I panicked, and tried to pull the key out with all my might. I am literally bowing the door lock out away from the car. I invite Jason to give it a try. Nothing is working. We even hit the unlock button inside the car over and over, just in case that might make a difference. I ask my friend Bob from Rob's to come out and give it a shot. Nothing works. So I give up, and catch a ride back to my house with Jason and Heather.

The next morning I call Ray and ask him to give me a ride back up to Rob's so I can try to retrieve my only car key with (hopefully) the help of some WD-40 and needle nose pliers. After spraying the WD-40 right on the key grooves, and watching it gently slide into the lock, I go for the needle nose pliers to pull out the key and ... nothing. Financial panic kicks in as I had printed out a list of locksmiths before I left the pad, but I really did not want to give them any of my money. Ray decides to break out his travel kit of tools, and he selects the magical super air compressed full size pliers. He clamps on the key, pushes in and twists, and pulls the key out! Obviously the magic in that single set of pliers is greater than the evil that resides inside my driver's side car door lock. The weight lifted off my shoulders was so significant that I offered to buy Ray lunch at the Oasis http://www.theoasisrestaurant.com/ where he had the Chicken Diablo, and I had the Blackened Tilapia. Both were great, as the meal after getting your car situation fixed is always the bomb.

Moral to the story? Ray, on the left, is a good man to know if your car key gets stuck in the lock, and you should probably have more than one set of car keys. If you don't, maybe think about getting another set made.

1 comment: