Thursday, January 15, 2009

I Fucking Love The Game Of Hockey

What's up internets? I fucking love the game of hockey, and I thought I would take the time to tell you about how that love started, developed, and has now pretty much turned into an obsession.

Once upon a time not long ago, when people wore pajamas and lived life slow, a few years after the move to Dallas was done, the Dallas Stars went on a serious playoff run. They even made it all the way to the Stanley Cup Finals, where they played against the Buffalo Sabres, who they just so happen to be facing tonight. So that summer of 1999 I watched my first full hockey games. I always saw highlights on Sportscenter before, but I never really sat down and watched a full game, or gave the sport a chance. I watched all 6 of those games, including the final one which took 3 overtimes and saw Dallas Stars good strong player man Brett Hull score a goal (his skate was in the crease though, which at the time would have nullified the goal, now it doesn't matter) to win the Cup! In each of those games I loved how the goals pretty much could be scored at anytime, and when they did it was a huge explosion of emotion from all the fans. I quickly found myself jumping out of my chair and throwing my fists in the air while screaming "yes!" The puck is so hard to control, plus all the guys are on fucking skates, so with all those things working against scoring, when the puck actually goes in the fucking net it is scream worthy. It is kind of like a full release. Anyway, that was the start.

Soon I found myself watching hockey a little more, and on a somewhat regular basis. I really love the quick, constant action, the hitting, the skilled shooting and passing, oh and did I mention the fighting? Add in the hard rock that is usually played during timeouts, I mean could you come up with more of a formula for having me as a fan? If only they threw in some eye candy... oh wait the Stars have Ice Girls who clean up the goal area during breaks, and they now even have cheerleaders with pom-poms! Anyway, there are a good amount of hockey fans in the Dallas, but nowhere near the level of the other major sports. So that Championship 1999 season progressed from maybe watching 10 games the next year, to half of the season a few years later and even going to a few games with Jerry. Now I watch every single one of the 82 regular season games, and really have for the last couple of years. At Ticketstock last year I lucked into an autograph ticket for Brenden Morrow, who is my favorite player on the Stars, so I got my 8 x 10 glossy signed, and he gave me a pound because we are boyz. See, I am so nerdy now that I am wearing my Stars warm-up jersey because it is game night! Like I am going or something. I have been several times, and the last game I saw was November 22nd, 2008, and the seats I had, though expensive, were the best ever at the new arena (Ken and I went around 2000 and had awesome dead center seats back at Reunion Arena).


Check out my refrigerator! Julia and Spencer, my niece and nephew, Lorena (Jerry's daughter), Sara and Iain (my sister and her baby-daddy), and of course Brenden Morrow!


Brenden Morrow and I. Do you think he agreed to do stuff like this when he signed his NHL contract?


Anyway, it has taken a new step now, because I received EA Sports NHL '09 from Diana, my sister (thanks D!), and I am playing the shit out of this fucking game! Plus I am bad-ass!! And I am even filming me play on my Flip Video camera that I got Rebecca (thanks Rebs!). I feel like a NASCAR driver giving shout outs to my corporate sponsors. Or like I am winking ala Fake Sarah Palin, all like turing to the side and hip-checking the camera with a wink from behind my glasses. I would use those those stupid smiley faces or whatever, but real men don't use emoticons. Nevertheless, right now I believe I am like 25-0, and I am playing on the Rookie Level, but I haven't played a hockey video game since Blades of Steel back in the early 90s. I still find myself lost on the ice at times because I never played the actual game, as a matter of fact I can't even skate very well in real life. However, in the cyber world I am ninja. So please watch the YouTube clip below of me playing my new video game.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aJP8hvjEu4

No comments:

Post a Comment